Hand turkeys are the ultimate Thanksgiving craft, and one I am quite fond of. Little kids just don’t get tired of tracing their hands and making cool things out of them.
I wondered how we could shake up the traditional hand turkey a bit and make them a little sillier. Not that turkeys aren’t already inherently silly creatures…
- 1 hand
- colored card stock
- glue stick
Each of these steps can be done with varying amounts of help from your wee ones depending on their ages/abilities.
1. Trace lots of little hands on Fall colors of colored card stock.
2. Cut out the hands, and cut off the fingers (no, this isn’t a gruesome Halloween craft.)
3. Glue the palm parts of the hands on a piece of colored card stock- as many as you want, wherever you want. Make a cool design or make a turkey family.
4. Glue on fingers of varying colors to be the feathers. We didn’t ad the waddles because they make me queasy.
5. Draw on turkey faces, a barnyard scene, a turkey disco, turkeys in space, what have you.
This is where it got cute for us- I took for granted that Beckett was going to be able to see the turkey shape in the hands, but when I said he could draw faces on the turkeys, he drew them right on the bodies. Awwww.